Summer Movie Recap

Authors: Jordan Johnson

The box office overflowed with loyal fans as this summer’s top two movies were released. The third installment of the Transformers series, “Dark of the Moon,” showcased the world’s most complex toy cars at its June 28 premier.

With hatred built up toward one another already, the Autobots and the Decepticons battle in order to learn the secrets of a Cybertronian spacecraft hidden on the moon. Earning $97.4 million in ticket sales opening weekend from a large, satisfied audience, this movie was by far one of the top movies to see.

In competition with Transformers, another famous character hit the big screen again. Harry Potter continues to fly his broom in the last of the HP films, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2,” released on July 15. Harry, Hermione, and Ron’s journey is not yet over, as they continue to search for the Dark Lord’s three Horcruxes.

Soon a battle commences and the three are left with consequences that could be life-changing. With more than 53,000 viewers and $169 million made opening weekend, this movie was a highly anticipated summer hit flick.

As a variety of films were released in theaters this summer, not all could be mega-hits. “X-Men: First Class,” released June 3, is the newest addition to the comic book film series.

It may come as a surprise that X-Men was not a popular choice this summer, considering viewers were able to go back in time before Charles Xavier (Professor X) and Erik Lehnsherr (Magneto) became archenemies.

The film portrays the childhood of both men as they discover their powers and work as a team to stop the world’s greatest threat. Because the film earned low sales ($55.1 million) opening weekend, it is clear that movie-goers didn’t care to explore the rift between Professor X and Magneto.

Making it into theaters was a film that isn’t a part of a series, “Super 8,” released June 10. The film introduces viewers to a group of friends who witness a train crash in 1979. As suspected, it turns out that the crash was no accident.

Soon the group realizes that they are no longer safe as events roll out that they never imagined could happen. One by one, they disappear as terrifying and unfortunate changes unfold. This film was not a popular choice for movie-goers, considering it pulled in only $35.4 million opening weekend.