Authors: McClatchy-Tribune

Sept. 13—A series of earthquakes shook the Colorado-New Mexico border near Trinidad on Monday night and early Tuesday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The five small quakes ranged in magnitude from 2 to 4, all smaller than the 5.5 quake that trembled through Trinidad in mid-August.

The first small quake, with a magnitude of 3.4, hit at 7:37 p.m. Monday. Seismologists at the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden estimated the epicenter of this quake to be 22 miles southwest of Trinidad.

The largest quake, a 4.0 magnitude, occurred at 11:24 p.m. Monday, and was centered about 17 miles west of Raton, N.M.

The quakes continued through the early hours of Tuesday, and the last reported quake occurred at 7:13 a.m., 26 miles southwest of Trinidad.

In the past year, this area of Colorado has experienced frequent “swarms” of small quakes, said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist for the information center in Golden. Earthquakes of this magnitude can usually be felt, Blakeman said, but rarely cause much damage.

Geophysicists are not certain whether these small quakes are natural events or if they have been caused by extensive oil and gas drilling in the area.

Look at a geological survey of southern Colorado to see a map of the quakes, and a list of information on each. On the map, click on the blue squares to get more information about each earthquake.