Community Briefs 9/14/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Recreation Center appreciates school employees

This week at the Student Recreation Center, CSU employees are encouraged to slim down, tone up and sweat it out.

From Sept. 12-16 employees can go into the Rec Center and sign up for one free month trial membership. Also, this week, if employees sign up they will receive free gifts.

These gifts include a free 30-minute personal training session/fitness assessment, free one day cycle and one day mind body pass and more. If you haven’t been to the Rec Center before, you can go in and ask for a tour.

Learn to eat healthy and mind your weight

With the program Healthy You, the Kendall Anderson Nutrition Center gives participants the tools to lose weight, stay healthy and feel better.

The 12-week program, starting tonight, will be held each Wednesday from 6-7 p.m. through Oct. 26.

For $175, those who enroll will receive a nutrition assessment, a BMI assessment, a program book, pedometer and other handouts, weekly snacks and personal consultations to determine calorie intake and goals and guidelines for nutrition and fitness.

The sustainable development discussion

Today at 5 p.m. at Avogadro’s Number on Mason Street, CSU experts will discuss their views on sustainable development.

The panel of experts will share thoughts on the United Nation’s 40-year effort to support sustainable development programs worldwide.

These experts include:

Carl Hammerdorfer, Global Social Sustainable Enterprise MBA program

Dennis Ojima, Department of Ecosystem Science and Sustainability

Michele Betsil, Department of Political Science

Julia Klein, Department of Forest, Rangeland and Watershed Stewardship

The event part of the Managing the Planet Panel Series and sponsored by the School of Global Environmental Sustainability and Beet Street.

CSU named top military school

G.I. Jobs magazine recently named CSU as one of the top 20 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools that are doing the most to embrace America’s military as students.

The list was compiled through research of more than 8,000 schools nationwide.

“We are proud to once again be recognized as a university that is committed to our veteran students, helping them to achieve academic success as well as transition back into the community,”
said Jan Rastall, director of Colorado State’s Adult Learner and Veteran Services in a news release.

“The entire university community should be applauded for helping these students achieve their potential.”

In addition to services CSU has traditionally offered, the school is partnering with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program to offer full awards to U.S. military veterans and designated dependents.

— Collegian Staff Report