Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Those of us who didn’t know Sascha Franzel, the 19-year-old CSU student who died Saturday night, can clearly see how much she was loved on campus.

After more than 150 of Franzel’s family members and friends gathered on the Oval Monday night to honor her memory, it’s obvious that she touched the lives of many.

The people who were lucky enough to meet Franzel can tell you she had an infectious laugh that brought life to those she encountered.

Franzel was clearly a unique young woman, and the CSU community is at a loss without her presence.
Just hearing personal stories about this remarkable woman shows us how special she truly was, and how much she will be missed. Even people who had met with her only once or twice have a funny or touching story to tell about Franzel.

Our hearts go out to everyone who has experienced Franzel’s friendliness and kindness.

No college student expects to get a phone call saying one of his or her friends has passed away. No parent deserves to hear that they have outlived their child.

This bright young woman’s tragic death shows how precious and fragile life really is. It’s easy to take life for granted, especially as young adults. But we need to remember that tomorrow is not a guarantee.

Franzel’s family said she always tried hard to make people happy whenever they were sad.

So instead of dwelling on the sadness of a young woman taken too soon, let’s focus on the happy stories told by those who loved her.