CSU feeds Larimer County

Authors: Sarah Fenton

For more than 20 years, the annual CSU Cans Around the Oval has been a tradition that remains the Food Bank for Larimer County’s biggest fundraiser. The SLiCE-sponsored food drive is set to begin today.

The name comes from the ending celebration of the food drive, where participants line their cans around the Oval as many times as they can. In the first year, cans lined the Oval just once, but over the last two and a half decades, cans have increased to numbers that are able to line the Oval over 40 times.

“It touches all different kinds of folks in our community,” said Cassie Rosch, the volunteer manager for the Food Bank. “There is definitely a need for food in our community.”

Cans Around the Oval serves as an umbrella food drive that encourages CSU community members and organizations to host their own mini food drives between the weeks of mid September to mid October.

According to Rosch, Cans Around the Oval not only helps the hungry in Fort Collins, but it also serves as a bridge between the CSU community and Fort Collins residents. This is why Rosch encourages students to get involved.

Interested parties can register to participate in Cans Around the Oval Tuesday. Set to take place in the Associated Students of CSU senate chambers, participants will be able pick up food drive start-up kits, designed to make the organizational process easier.

“We are having our Cans Around the Oval distribution day, which is an opportunity for anyone who wants to participate to come pick up materials,” said Brett Rundle, who serves as the program coordinator. “We will have boxes and bags and flyers and posters and also canvassing territories there.”

According to Rosch, the food that comes from Cans Around the Oval provides food for the food bank well into Thanksgiving, serving thousands of people throughout the county.

Collegian writer Sarah Fenton can be reached at news@collegian.com.

h3.Volunteer

When: Registration today

Time: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.

*Where: *ASCSU Senate Chamber