Community Briefs 9/13/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Man found dead under tree near CSU campus

Fort Collins police are investigating the death of a man found under a tree near the intersection of Shields and Elizabeth, outside of a dentist’s office close to the CSU campus. The death is not considered to be suspicious, according to a Lt. Mike Trombly of Fort Collins Police Services.

Neighbors found the man’s body at 5:41 p.m. It was not visible from the street, Trombly said, and there is no evidence that suggests he is a CSU student.

He will probably not be identified by the coroner’s office until tomorrow, Trombly said.

Onion editor to speak on campus

In honor of the new Onion insert in the Wednesday issue of the Collegian, the Associated Students of ASCSU have brought Brian Janosch, the Onion’s editorial coordinator, to campus.

Janosch will be presenting a multimedia show today at 11 a.m. and again at 12 p.m. in the Commons area of the Lory Student Center.

According to a press release, there will be “plenty of time for questions and socializing” and a potential for prizes.

CSU, Beet Street to discuss U.N. sustainable development activities

On Wednesday, Sept. 14, a panel of CSU faculty experts from the School of Global Environmental Sustainability will discuss the success of the United Nations’ 40-year effort to support sustainable development programs.

Speakers will include Michele Betstill from the Department of Political Science, Carl Hammerdorfer from the Global Sustainable Enterprise Program, Julia Klein from the Department of Ecosystem Science and Sustainability and Dennis Ojima from the Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory. Gene Kelly from the Department of Crop and Soil sciences will serve as the moderator.

The panel is co-presented with Beet Street’s Culture Cafés and will take place from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Avogadro’s Number.

Ten journalism leaders inducted into CSU Media Hall of Fame

CSU’s Department of Journalism and Technical Communication announced 10 inaugural inductees to its Media Hall of Fame on Sept. 7.

The Hall of Fame was created to recognize and honor alumni reporters, editors, publishers, owners, photographers, broadcasters and other professionals who have made what the department deems to be significant contributions to the field of journalism.

“We are proud to have such distinguished alumni representing CSU while making a difference in the world,” said Greg Luft, chairman of the journalism department.

Inductees include:

Jim Benemann, a news anchor at KCNC in Denver.

Fred Brown, one of CSU’s first journalism graduates

Charles D’Agata, a CBS television correspondent

Bill Hitchcock, a photojournalist who works primarily for “60 Minutes” and “48 Hours.”

Mike Stratton, a Colorado political consult

Liz Spayd, the first female managing editor in the history of the Washington Post

Jim Sheeler, a former Rocky Mountain News reporter and Pulitzer Prize winner

Kelly Kennedy, a USA Today health policy reporter

Gary McCormick, a director of partnership development for HGTV

Todd Shimoda, a novelist, website designer and publisher