Authors: Collegian Staff Report

7:59 a.m.

American Airlines Flight 11 departs Boston’s Logan International Airport for Los angeles with 92 people on board.

8:14 a.m.

United Airlines Flight 175 departs from Logan Airport to Los Angeles with 65 passengers.

8:20 a.m.

American Airlines Flight 77 leaves Washington Dulles International Airport for Los Angeles with 64 people on board.

8:42 a.m.

United Airlines Flight 93 leaves Newark International Airport for San Francisco with 44 passengers on board.

8:46 a.m.

Flight 11 hits the north tower of the World Trade Center.

The final communication from the plane came from flight attendant Madeline “Amy” Sweeney, who told an American Flight Services manager, “Oh my God, we are way too low.”

9:03 a.m.

Flight 175 hits the south tower of the World Trade center.

One of the passengers on the plane, Peter Hansen, told his father, “I think they intend to go to Chicago or someplace and fly into a building.”

9:05 a.m.

President George W. Bush learns about the attacks while reading in a second grade classroom in Sarasota, Fla.

9:31 a.m

President Bush addresses the nation from Emma Booker Elementary School in Sarasota, calling the attacks a “national tragedy,” and “an apparent terrorist attack on our country.”

9:36 a.m.

Vice President Dick Cheney is evacuated to a bunker beneath the White House.

9:45 a.m.

The White House and the U.S. Capitol are evacuated.

9:59 a.m.

The south tower of the Trade Center collapses. The fall ultimately killed 600 workers and first responders, and it took the 110 story building only 10 seconds to fall.

10:03 a.m.

Flight 93 crashes in a field in Shanksville, Penn. Crew members and passengers revolted against the hijackers, causing the hijackers to intentionally crash into the field to prevent the uprising from retaking the plane.

10:28 a.m.

After burning for 102 minutes, the north tower of the World Trade Center collapses, killing about 1,400 people.

1:04 p.m.

President Bush addresses the nation from Barksdale Air Force base in Louisiana. “Make no mistake,” he said. “The United States will hunt down and punish those responsible for these cowardly acts.”

8:30 p.m.

President Bush gets his final address from the Oval Office, informing Americans that, “These acts of mass murder were intended to frighten our nation into chaos and retreat. But they have failed. Our country is strong. A great people has been moved to defend a great nation.”