Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

It has been a decade since the tragedy that defined our generation took place. While the world has radically changed, the post-9/11 world is the only one we truly know.

Over the past 10 years, we’ve grown up. We’re no longer the elementary and middle school students who watched the tragedy unfold on TV before going to school. We’ve seen the Taliban and Saddam Hussein fall, two endless wars and watched as America’s ultimate antagonist, Osama bin Laden, was killed.

We heard calls for America to unite as a nation, for us to let go of our prejudices, to emerge into a more unified consciousness. We heard calls to let go of the inevitable anger that has scarred us since the attacks and to move forward.

But we don’t know anything other than the anger and uncertainty that has plagued our nation since the attacks. For better or for worse, we’re a generation defined by long airport security lines and paranoia, by faraway wars and the inescapable images of the crumbling World Trade Center.

The 9/11 Generation isn’t more tolerant or accepting than the generations before us. We still have the same cultural and political divisions. Ten years later, we aren’t the stronger, more unified nation we had dreamt of after the tragedy.

The impact of the Sept. 11 attacks is still unknown. As a generation, we’re still trying to heal, and still trying to come to terms with how it defines us.

We still live in the shadow of 9/11, and it will be a difficult one to escape.

In the next 10 years, hopefully our generation will find its own definition, a way to become stronger and a way to move past the tragedy on that September morning and actually learn something from it.

And maybe then we will be more than the 9/11 Generation, and instead the generation that made a real difference.