CSU football runs over UNC

Authors: Kevin Lytle

The CSU football used a first-half offensive explosion to ride to a 33-14 win over Northern Colorado.

Two early Rams scores set the tone for the game.

UNC received the ball first and on its first drive quarterback Dylan Orms threw an interception to CSU safety Ivory Herd.

On the first play from scrimmage for the Rams running back Raymond Carter ran for 31 yards. On the very next play Pete Thomas threw a 2-yard pass to Jake Levin. It was Levin’s first career touchdown.

CSU got another second quarter touchdown when Chris Nwoke scored on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yardline.

Raymond Carter added two separate one-yard touchdown runs in the second quarter, the last one coming as time expired in the half to give CSU a 28-0 lead at the break.

CSU scored first in the second half with a 22-yard field goal by Ben DeLine.

UNC got on the scoreboard after an 80-yard drive. The score came on a 10-yard pass from Matt Baca, who replaced Orms in the second quarter.

The score remained 31-7 at the end of the third quarter.

CSU linebacker Max Morgan sacked Baca in the end zone in the fourth quarter to record the first safety for CSU since 2005. UNC added a score late in the game on a 66-yard run by Quintin Hildreth to make the score 33-14.

The win moves CSU to 2-0 on the season while UNC fell to 0-2.
The win did come at a price, however.

Midway through the second quarter linebacker Mychal Sisson went down with a leg injury and had to be carted off to the locker room. Sisson was later taken to Poudre Valley Hospital for x-rays on his right leg. There is no word yet on the extent of the injury.

Check Monday’s Collegian for more on the game.