Volleyball: Avoid the Shock

Authors: Christopher Boan

The CSU volleyball team continues the Rams Volleyball Classic Friday against Wichita State.

“We know they’re a very good team,” red shirt freshman Deedra Foss said. “We expect them to bring their A-game for sure.”

The Shockers are 3-3 on the season and are coming off a 21-8 season in 2010.

“Wichita is definitely a NCAA Tournament team,” freshman Kalia Thomas said. “They’re going to come in confident, and we’ll have to focus in order to come out on top.”

Sarah Waldorf, a senior from Augusta, Kan., leads the Shockers in digs. She is the reigning MVC defensive player of the week and one of the players that the Rams are keying in on.

“Wichita is loaded with solid players,” coach Tom Hilbert added. “They’re always a tough team to follow, and will present a challenge to our team.”

The Rams will look to continue the solid ball handling and tempo that they’ve established.
“So far this season, our tempo has been solid,” Foss added. “We’ll definitely need to keep that up if we’re going to compete against these teams.”

The Rams will be in a different position than last weekend, when they were consided a heavy underdog to Nebraska. Still, the team insists that it is prepared for the challenges ahead, and has moved on from its wins last week.

“We know we have a job to do,” Thomas said. “We’re going out there to win, no matter the opponent.”

The games this weekend will pit CSU against teams that will likely end up in the NCAA Tournament. They will also square off against Northern Colorado on Saturday night. The Bears, who won the Big Sky regular-season championship in 2010, are 4-3 on the season and are one of the favorites to make it back to the tourney in December.

“We take every team seriously,” Foss said. “[UNC] is going to make life tough, and we have to be ready for it.”

Friday’s game starts at 7 p.m. It will be the third game of the day, following games at 11 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The team hopes to continue the emotional support that it received last Friday against Nebraska when a Mountain West record of 6,750 people were in attendance.

“I hope we’ll have a lot of fans show up,” Foss said. “The crowd’s energy helps a lot, so we definitely hope to see everyone there.”

Volleyball Beat Reporter Christopher Boan can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

The Tournament

• CSU vs. Wichita State (3-3)- 7 p.m. Friday
  • CSU vs. Northern Colorado (4-3)- 7 p.m. Saturday
  • Tickets: Free for students with student ID