Authors: Christopher Boan

look to keep its two-game win streak alive this week as it begins the three-game Rams Volleyball Classic. The first game CSU plays will be an exhibition match against Nova KBM Maribor of the Slovenian Pro Volleyball League.

“It’ll be a challenge,” coach Tom Hilbert said on what problems Nova presents. “They’re a pro team and understand the game more than our team.”

One of the main difficulties that the Rams will face is the lack of knowledge of their opponent.
“They definitely present a challenge to our style of play,” redshirt sophomore Tori Brummett added. “The fact that we don’t have much in terms of their game-tape will complicate things a bit.”
The Rams plan on taking advantage of the early season exhibition to try out a variety of different starters on the court.

“We will definitely mix up the roster combinations,” Hilbert added. “We’re using this as an opportunity to see how our bench and starters can do against a pro team.”

Nova will feature Colorado native and Texas A&M grad Sarah Ammerman, who is the lone American-born player on the team. Ammerman, originally from Parker, started all four years at Texas A&M.
“She’s a remarkable athlete,” Hilbert said. “We tried to recruit her out of high school. She’ll provide a spark for their team.”

The Rams are using this exhibition match as a tune-up for their opponent Saturday night, the Wichita State Shockers. The Shockers, who represent the Missouri Valley Conference in this tournament, went 21-8 last season, and are 3-3 thus far.

“Wichita State is going to be the toughest opponent we’ll face,” Hilbert added. “Their team is more tactical than ours, and is faster too.”

Game time for the exhibition against Nova will be 7 p.m. on Thursday, and doors open at 6. The team encourages fans to arrive early, as they expect a packed house once again.

Volleyball Beat Reporter Christopher Boan can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

What: CSU vs. Nova KBM Maribor (Slovenia)

When: 7 p.m. Thursday

Where: Moby Arena

Live-blog: Visit our Facebook page for a link to the blog

Listen: 90.5 KCSU FM