Authors: Kristen Gaede

Today is the last of a two-day International Colloquium on Managing Global Conflict 10 Years After 9/11. Members of the community and CSU students are encouraged to come and get an inside look at global conflicts facing the world now and into the future.

“(CSU) has such strong areas of research in terms of water, energy and food security and our work in environmental sustainability,” said Chad Hoseth, the manager of strategic initiatives for the Office of Internal Programs at CSU. “These sessions are designed to make the link between what’s happening around the world and how CSU is working to address these issues.”

Hoseth added that part of being a CSU student is preparing academically as well as preparing for the world they will live in.

“These sessions might give current students a glimpse of what the future might hold,” Hoseth said.

Senior Connor Jandreau, a double major in fish and wildlife conservation and studio art, attended the ‘Environmental Conflict and Cooperation’ session yesterday and said he was enthused by what he heard.

“It was great, it was awesome. They presented a multitude of different approaches to conflict resolution,” Jandreau said. “They had a great panel and they attracted some really good names to be here. It’s awesome to listen to people who are at the top of their field.”

At the panel, “U.S. Foreign Policy Challenges in the Post 9/11 Era,” former CSU Provost Loren Crabtree also spoke of the importance of CSU in the global community.

“This university is heavily involved in international affairs, CSU had a major role in the creation of the Peace Corps and CSU has human development projects all over the world,” Crabtree said.

“Students at CSU are engaged at learning, inherently at a international university and that is really what this series highlights that.”

This event rings true for any students interested in the current state of the world. Today there will be sessions at the colloquium on ensuring food safety at a global level, meeting the food demands of a growing population, clean energy and the transition in the Middle East.

“I don’t see why students wouldn’t want to attend these events,” said junior psychology student Joe Hoover, “This is our future. We should be paying attention to what is going on.”

Today, Governor Bill Ritter will be a moderator at the “America and the Clean Energy Agenda” that is taking place from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Collegian writer Kristen Gaede can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Attend today’s events

All sessions will be in the Grey Rock Room of the Lory Student Center:

9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.:
Ensuring Food Safety at a Global Level

10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.:
The Grandest of Challenges: Meeting the Food Demands of a Growing World Population

1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.:
America and the Clean Energy Agenda

3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.:
The Middle East in Transition