Authors: Erin Udell

A 17-year-old Colorado State University student’s legs were reportedly severed at the knees after falling from a freight train in Longmont, according to detective commander Jeff Satur of the Longmont Police Department.

The girl, whose name has not yet been released, was apparently trying to hop aboard the train at around 1:03 p.m. Monday when the accident occurred. No alcohol or drugs were suspected to have contributed to the accident.

The girl was with three male friends at the time, who were also trying to hop the northbound Burlington Northern Santa Fe train. She reportedly fell near the intersection of 3rd Avenue and Atwood Street.

One of her friends was also dragged by the train but, according to Satur, only sustained slight abrasions to his left arm and was treated at the scene and released.

After being pulled out from under the train by one of the men, who has been identified as Charles Hamilton, 25, from Gillette, Wyo., she was taken, still conscious, by ambulance to Longmont United Hospital. She was flown to the Denver Health and Medical Center shortly thereafter.

The other two friends included a 17-year-old Fort Collins resident and a 21-year-old from Broomfield. All three of the men lived in Fort Collins, Satur said, and two of the men were cited for trespassing.

The accident ended up closing areas along Longs Peak, 9th and Mountain View Avenues while police continue investigating the incident.

The girl’s condition was unavailable at time of publishing.

News Editor Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.