Community Briefs 09/06/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Berlinberg appoints three new associate justices to ASCSU Supreme Court

After interviewing 19 candidates for the position, Associated Students of ASCSU President Eric Berlinberg announced Monday that he has appointed three new associate justices to the student government Supreme Court, pending senate ratification.

The new justices are: Chelsea Stigall, a junior economics major, Kelsey Hall, a sophomore political science and international studies double major and Sofiya Kostareva, a freshman economics major.

“The interview process was extremely tough to decide, but ultimately the above three individuals will prove to add unique, differing perspectives to the ASCSU Supreme Court, and I look forward to the year to come,” Berlinberg said in an email.

The three nominees will be up for ratification at ASCSU Senate this Wednesday.

World Food Prize Laureate to speak on campus

Gebisa Ejeta, the 2009 World Food Prize laureate, will be discussing “Global Food Security in the Face of Growing Challenges” at 3 p.m. on Sept. 11 in Behavioral Sciences Building, Rm. 131.

Ejeta was raised in a thatched one-room home in Ethiopia and later became an esteemed professor for agronomy at Purdue University. He won the World Food Prize for his work creating sorghum varieties resistant to drought and bacteria and for teaching farmers in Africa how to develop a certain cereal grain.

The lecture is sponsored by the College of Agricultural Sciences and the College of Natural Sciences and is open and free to the public.

Career Center offers students chance to win iPad

To garner more participation, students who attend seven Career Center sponsored events will be eligible to enter a drawing to win an iPad 2.

The Career Center is hosting a “Resume Rush” from Sept. 6 through 9 in the Career Center, where career counselors and employers will critique the resumes of interested students.

At 12:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. today, the Center will also be offering a clinic in “How to Make Your Resume Stand Out,” where Sara Colorosa from the Colorado State Forest Service and Lucinda Van Ingwagen from the Career Center will offer tips to better your resume.

More events are slated over the course of the week, and a full schedule is available at career.colostate.edu.

— Collegian Staff Report