Authors: Justin Hill

Images of children playing in the street, massive crowds and breathtaking city skylines frozen in black -and-white time are what you can expect to see at the Wolfgang Volz photography exhibit.

Today from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. will be the last day of German photographer Wolfgang Volz’s photography exhibit titled “Vision of the City” in the University Center for the Arts.

The collection of about 15 large black-and-white photographs depicts New York City in its most raw form. It is from a 1983 series titled “Broadway Local.”

“The series documents the everyday landscape of New York in the 1980s from uptown to downtown Bowery. Ranging from views of classic landmarks such as the Flatiron Building and soaring skyscrapers, to fragmentary views of residents, tourists, and public transportation, Volz captures the dynamic life of America’s most iconic city,” reads the description of the exhibit.

Linny Frickman, the director of the University Art Museum, said the photos are a part of the university’s permanent collection. She said they have been in the school’s possession since their immediate release in the 1980s.

“Part of our mission is to rotate works in the permanent possession of the museum,” Frickman said.
Mikie Cameron, a sophomore art major, said she thought the photos were amazing and beautifully done in black and white.

“There is so much to notice, so many little details,” Cameron said.

Thayne Cameron, a junior philosophy major, joined her at the exhibit and agreed with her speculations on the photos.

Thayne Cameron said his favorite photo was of the Flatiron Building.

“The way the lines are, the dimensions, it makes you feel off balance,” Thayne Cameron said.
Volz has been recently producing a large body of work called “Manmade Planet,” which is described on the exhibit as, “a study of the human impact on our landscape,” to which “Broadway Local” is said to be a precursor.

“Not exclusively critical of the impact, the photographs reveal awareness that human activities can affect the landscape in creative as well as detrimental ways,” reads the plaque by the exhibit.
In 1996, Volz was given the Infinity Award for Applied Photography at the International Center of Photography in New York.

Volz is best known for his collaborative work with artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude, whom he first met in 1971 and was an exclusive photographer for.

“Part of the reason we wanted to hang these this summer was because of the relationship between Volz and Christo,” Frickman said.

Volz currently works on searching and documenting potential locations, and his photos serve as a basis for drawings. The collaboration has brought about many books and over 300 exhibitions around the world.

Collegian writer Justin Hill can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

*What: *“Vision of the City” art exhibit

Where: University Center for the Arts

When: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Cost: Free