Community Briefs 09/02/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

FoCo drivers ‘safest’ in country

For the second year in a row, Allstate Insurance Co. has named Fort Collins the “Safest Driving City in America.”

The average Fort Collins driver will experience an auto collision every 14 yers, 28.6 percent lower than the national average of 10 years, according to the Allstate report.

“We have our residents to thank, as they are undoubtedly the reason Fort Collins is one of the best places to live, work and play. I’m honored to be a part of a community that is consistently recognized as one of the nation’s best,” said Mayor Karen Weitkunat.

Pudgy pooches needed for study

The CSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital is conducting a clinical study to investigate new canine diet formulations, and they’re looking for overweight and obese dogs to participate.

Qualifying dogs need to be between 2 and 7 years old, and weigh more than 22 pounds.

After entering the study, the dogs will be fed the experimental diet for one month by their owners. Dogs will have their blood tested three times over the course of the study.

With the study, the Vet Teaching Hospital hopes to evaluate the effectiveness of new canine diet formulas in hopes of improving overall canine health.

Old Town Gallery Walk

Starting today and occurring the first Friday of every month, Old Town Fort Collins galleries will stay open for self-guided tours from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Participating galleries include: Art on Mountain, Center for Fine Art Photography, Fine Art and Framing Company, Fort Collins Museum of Art, Illustrated Light Gallery of Fine Art Photography, Lincoln Center Galleries, Trimble Court Artisans and Wadoo Furniture.

As visitors navigate the exhibits, many of which change throughout the series, refreshments will be served.

For more information, visit www.FortCollinsGalleryWalk.com.

— Collegian Staff Report