Authors: Jody Donovan and Eric Berlinberg

Dear Students,

Unless you’ve been completely off-line the last few days, you’re probably well aware of what happened last weekend when a local apartment’s pool party drew more than 3,000 people, leading to four CSU student arrests and multiple people needing treatment for dehydration and overconsumption of alcohol.

If you haven’t read yesterday’s student editorial in The Collegian, “Don’t Pass Out in the Pool” (http://col.st/q3KdKe), you should give it a look.

We know the vast majority of CSU students didn’t cause any problems for anyone last weekend—unfortunately, no one posts YouTube videos of people studying in the library or hiking in the mountains. On the other hand, there’s plenty of video of the pool party, and it’s clear the size of the crowd and the level of alcohol consumption involved put participants at risk and created a major disruption for local law enforcement and neighborhoods.

We’re glad that, for most of our students, the party ended peacefully and safely. We also need to make it clear that, at the end of the day, you as students are responsible for your decisions and your behavior. If you cross the line, there are consequences both under the law and the student code of conduct. (You don’t have to be charged with a crime to face a student conduct violation.) Large crowds can get out of control very quickly, particularly when alcohol is involved, and if that happens, even bystanders can find themselves facing very serious legal problems.

To paraphrase the words of our student editors: The party may be totally awesome, but it isn’t worth risking your education or CSU’s reputation. Take care of yourselves and others, represent CSU well, and make responsible choices.

Dr. Jody Donovan
Dean of Students

Eric Berlinberg
President of ASCSU