Authors: Collegian Editorial Staff

As a university and a greater Fort Collins community, CSU athletes –– and all athletes collegiate, high school or professional –– are figures we can rally behind, cheer for with a single voice and look up to.

That’s hard to do when these hometown heroes get arrested at booze-fueled pool parties, mere hours after a closed football practice. Our student-athletes need to be aware that their actions on and off the field will have far bigger consequences than most regular students.

All students, whether they are an athlete, a member of student government, poetry majors, engineering majors or members of student media, represent our university at all times. And when one of us gets into legal trouble at a party, we as a whole look like fools.

But when it’s an athlete who has the time, money and pride of our school and our community riding on his or her shoulders, the shame is even deeper.

It’s hard to admit, but there is a natural double standard between regular students and athletes. And our athletes must know this when they enter a collegiate sport. They must know they are expected to study, to practice, to compete, to have fun (to a certain degree) and to represent their team, their school and their community.

When our student-athletes walk on the field to represent Ram pride, they must also be prepared to walk off that field and give the same dedication to their daily lives.