Authors: Perry Stein- McClatchey Tribune

MIAMI BEACH — Partying with a five-foot tall inflatable banana, Beyonce’s younger sister was refused entry to South Beach’s Club Cameo this weekend.

The bizarre incident involving Solange Knowles quickly escalated when she took to Twitter saying that an officer pulled a weapon on her in an act of racial discrimination.

Miami Beach police confirmed Monday that a variation of the incident occurred, but said that race played no factor in defusing a hostile singer with a giant banana.

Authorities said an off-duty police officer working at the Cameo escorted Knowles across the street from the club to further discuss why she was being refused entrance. It was during that conversation that Knowles says an officer pulled a weapon, not a firearm, and threatened to deflate the banana.

But the narrative that played out on Solange Knowle’s Twitter feed tells a different story.

“I have literally had my last leg with discriminating police! Miami police department will be notified,” she first tweeted. “A police officer just pulled a weapon on me. … I have done NOTHING illegal, against the law, or anything of the sort.”

In her tweets, Knowles indicated that she had the name of the officer who pulled the weapon and would be filing a formal complaint. Miami Beach police said Monday in a news release that it has launched an internal affairs investigation into the incident.
A representative for the entertainer could not be reached for comment.

Her public rant, which made no mention of the conspicuous banana, spanned nine tweets.
“I’m only tweeting this to raise awareness. I could have left quietly, but I am sick&tired of this scenario being played over&over again,” she wrote. “It is time to do something about it. I am a mother raising a young black child in America. I’m going to die trying!”

Because Knowles identified the police department in question as the Miami Police Department, many first believed that the allegations were against the City of Miami, not Miami Beach.

Cmdr. Delrish Moss, spokesman for the Miami Police Department, said his department investigated the allegations after first hearing of the tweets.

“Over the weekend, the lion’s share of the mainstream and entertainment media reported that the Miami Police Department had a confrontation with Solange Knowles, the sister of Beyonce Knowles of record and movie fame. We have investigated and found that this incident DID NOT occur in our city,” Moss said in a written statement.

Knowles is known for her singing and dancing career and appearances in films such as “Johnson Family Vacation.’’ On Sunday night, she did also tweet about her big sister’s surprise pregnancy announcement at MTV’s Video Music Award Show.

“One.And.Only. I could not possibly be more proud. Tears in my eyes,” she tweeted.