Authors: Collegian Editorial Staff

Any time 3,000 shirtless, steroid-influenced bros, scantily clad freshman and beer-guzzling hooligans come together in a hedonistic celebration of summer at an apartment complex pool, the laws of physics mandate that trouble is soon to follow.

And that’s precisely what happened this Saturday at the annual Ram’s Pointe Welcome Back party, when alcohol-fueled debauchery led to 10 ambulance calls, assault charges and a triage area for those who took the fun a bit too far.

Hmm, it’s such a mystery why many Fort Collins community members hate students.
While the apartment complex deserves its share of blame for providing the venue and not being prepared for what happens when thousands of drunk students party together, it’s still CSU students who are at fault for ultimately letting the party get out of hand.

A word of advice, CSU: Partying is fun, but don’t be drunken idiots. And please, for the love of God, have a little bit of common sense.

It doesn’t take a genius to know that it’s probably a bad idea to start a fight in the middle of a giant sea of people, and pounding 30 beers before 3 p.m. is never a good decision. And when you arrive at a party and see that stuff is going downhill, leave. Don’t contribute to the disaster area.

The first weekend back on campus is an opportunity to make a good first impression, and on Saturday, we blew it. The Rams Pointe pool party perpetuated every negative college student stereotype there is, and it will make it that much harder to gain back any respect.

After all, the party may have been totally awesome, but it probably wasn’t worth risking our reputation over.