Community briefs 8/29/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Ritter eligible for PERA retirement for privately funded post

Director of the Center for the New Energy Economy, and former Colo. Gov. Bill Ritter, qualifies for a heavily taxpayer funded retirement credit with the Colorado Public Employees’ Retirement Association although the position is privately funded.

Ritter would be eligible to earn annual benefits of $150,000 a year, half of his annual salary, once he turns 60 in five years. Six digit salaries are not uncommon, except Ritter’s job is privately funded making his case unusual.

University officials said Ritter never sought PERA coverage according to the Denver Post.

Ritter had built up 11 years of PERA credit when serving as Denver’s district attorney and four years as governor.

Former CSU track star places sixth at world championships

Former All-American and current CSU track volunteer assistant coach Janay DeLoach competed in the world championships in Daegu, South Korea Sunday, finishing sixth.

DeLoach competed in the long jump posting a score of 21 feet, 6.26 inches on her final jump to place ahead of Russia’s Darya Klishina.

DeLoach was one of only two Americans to finish in the top 10.

She qualified for the World Championships after winning the USA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Albuquerque, N.M.

Gov. Ritter, former US Sen. Wirth headline International Colloquium

Former U.S. Timothy E. Wirth and Gov. Bill Ritter are featured panelists at the “International Colloquium: Managing Global Conflict Ten Years After 9/11”.

The panel includes experts from the public and private sectors as well as CSU faculty to exchange ideas on energy, water, U.S. foreign policy and environmental conflict among other topics.

Many of the panels highlight the ways CSU is involved in doing research around the globe to aid in solving the discussed world problems.

The international colloquium will be held in the Lory Student Center Sep. 6-7.

— Collegian Staff Report