Library nearly edited

Authors: Allison Knaus

With the start of a new semester, students can expect to see a fresh facelift inside the Morgan Library.

And while the exterior may still look far from complete, students this semester will be able to take advantage of the new services and additional workspace completed since construction began in March.

The new spaces being offered to students will allow for more workspace and an open feel including the quiet study room and collaboratory, said Sally Hibbitt, the library’s help desk manager.

Projects completed over the summer and ready for student use include: upgraded restrooms, a third floor quiet study room, collaboratory, additional computer classrooms and the reopening of a computer lab with improved printing services using the RamCash system.

Students will also find that the majority of the first floor is now open with use of the loan/reserve desk, help desk and technical help desk located on the south side of the courtyard until the end of September, when they will be moved just north of the courtyard.

While progress was made over the summer months, completion of the library project still has a long way to go, explained Tom Moothart, the assistant dean for the Morgan Library.

“This semester, expansion will really take off,” Moothart said. “We wanted to make the renovation a priority, and we’re now taking off with the second phase of construction.”

The expansion, also referred to as the Cube, will accommodate the need for more student seating with a 4,500-square-foot study area open for students 24 hours a day. The two-story building will be primarily glass and will be open by fall 2012.

By the beginning of 2012, foundations of the cube will be laid, and students will begin to notice significant progress being made, said Mike Rush, the assistant director of Facilities Management at CSU.

As the expansion construction begins, students can expect less noise and disturbances than last semester, Rush added.

“Last semester, students were often disrupted as we completed the interior renovation, but as we move towards the expansion, noise shouldn’t be as much of a concern,” Rush said.

Plans for construction to be complete on the Morgan Library project by the fall 2012 semester are still on schedule, Rush added.

_Staff writer Allison Knaus can be reached at news@collegian.com. _