For those preparing to graduate in the next semester or two, well, I would love to tell you how great things will be. But the federal executive’s claims of an economic recovery are approaching the three-year point and things are significantly worse.

Do not be fooled by the rhetoric of the left and right blaming each other for the current economic disaster, shadow games and misdirection. They did this to us together and at the behest of the banks and corporations who contributed directly to their campaigns.

As the economic depression worsens — with true unemployment presently estimated between 16.5 and 22 percent, contrary to the federal claims of 9 percent who meet the federal definition of only those collecting unemployment benefits and searching for a full-time job —  jobs become more scarce and pay decreases as the job-seeking work force saturates the market.

America is one strange, but interesting place to attempt to build a stable future as a young person.
For those of you majoring or graduating with a degree in liberal arts — I’m among you —consider attending a trade school as your first act after graduation.

Your political science, journalism or sociology degree may well serve useless if the depression gets much worse, but people will always need someone when the toilet backs up — consider it a worthwhile investment.

Although it really can’t be regarded as a new trend, the mainstream media’s utter subservience to both government and corporate interests reaches new lows with every passing day.

While the mainstream media reports 9-percent unemployment and ignores the truth behind the economic downturn, “The Onion” writes a satirical article about Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke drunkenly spouting off claims in a Nebraska bar. There’s only one problem — the claims he fictionally spouted off were factually accurate.

Over the course of the next several months, you will notice I’m a consistent and passionate supporter of Texas Congressman and Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul.

During the 2008 election campaign, as the rest of the corporate shill candidates vomited forth with voluminous lies about the strength of the U.S. economy, the importance of an interventionist foreign policy and by all accounts how the bailouts were necessary for the good of the nation, Paul identified with remarkable alacrity and accuracy the economic collapse had already begun.

He was right, and they were wrong. What’s becoming interesting about all of the aforementioned goings-on is how important it has become to question authority.

While the current batch of career-politicians and corporate hacks prattle on, disgorging talking points for the acquiescent media to a society grown exceedingly docile, keep this in mind: when they were your age, they questioned the authority of a federal government sending thousands of Americans their age to die like cattle for the so-called containment of communism.

Those who fail to learn from history are bound to repeat it, but the problem is, it wasn’t the people who learned — it was the politicians.

During Vietnam, field reporters would send stories for the evening news, newspaper or magazine depicting an ugly war of attrition. By the time their stories ran, the editors in D.C. would have spun in the views of the state department there.

The conflicting stories and eventual photographic evidence to support the frontline reporters’ stories eventually turned the political tides against LBJ, who then chose not to run for a second full term as president when support within his own Democratic Party disintegrated.

Yet the peers to this batch of parasites calling themselves politicians, our parents, supported the nonsensical kowtowing of the media to government. Instead of questioning politicians who claim Americans pay lower taxes than most European nations, the voters simply tune the channel to a media outlet they agree with and go on about their day.

The current president, whom I refer to as Chairman Zero, has a multitude of one-liners he hasn’t meant in the slightest. Among my favorites, and I’m paraphrasing, credited the Tea Party in 2010 for displaying the same “healthy skepticism of government” that led to the American Revolution.

Well, not to act as a contrarian, but when I look back on the American Revolution, the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, I do not see a group of men with a healthy skepticism of government. I see a group who recognized the inevitability of intrusion of government upon the people.

They weren’t skeptical of government — they loathed it. This is why they wrote a Constitution to serve as a strict limit on the federal government rather than a “living, breathing document” as so many progressives and statists claim.

Embrace the opportunity that is your college career, Rams, and question all authority. Do not believe the media is here to do anything but separate you from your money and know government will doubtlessly do the same if ever you find gainful employment as an adult.

Seth J. Stern embraces irony and traffics in optimism. His anti-authoritarian column appears weekly in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.