Community Briefs 8/22/11

Authors: Collegian Staff

CSU alumnus seeking State Senate

Colorado State graduate and current State Representative John Kefalas announced his plans to pursue the State Senate District 14 seat.

The seat covers Fort Collins and is currently held by Sen. Bob Bacon who is term-limited. Rep. Kefalas’ current position in the House District 52 covers eastern and northern Colorado
Rep. Kefalas has served in the House since 2006 and became the first Democrat to be re-elected in over 50 years. He is currently serving in his third term.

He made his mark in the House as a member of the Finance Committee and Health and Environment Committee.

CSU partners to build training center for conserving natural resources

Collaboration between CSU and Trimble will create a new training facility to help farmers increase crop yields in addition to conserving natural resources.

CSU’s Agricultural Research, Development and Education Center agreed to the deal with Trimble, who will provide tractors and other equipment to the facility.

The partnership will provide CSU with cutting-edge technology for use by faculty, staff and students
.
The technologies will be used for the production of corn, wheat, barley, sunflowers, and alfalfa, among others.

Former CSU All-American to compete at World Championships

Janay DeLoach will travel to Daegu, Korea to represent the United States in the IAAF World Championships Aug. 27 and 28.

The World Championships feature more than 2,000 athletes from 200 different countries.
DeLoach owns school records in the indoor and outdoor long jump and was the recipient of the Virginia K. Frank award for the most outstanding female athlete at CSU.

An All-American in both indoor and outdoor long jump, DeLoach has competed for Team USA at the Pan Am Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Her jump of 22 feet, 11.25 inches at the USA Indoor Track and Field Championships Feb. 26 qualified her for the World Championships and was at the time a world-leading-mark.

CSU featured as one of nation’s top colleges

In the recent Fiske Guide to Colleges 2012, CSU was featured in the 300 best and most interesting colleges in the country.

The guide’s author, Edward B. Fiske, is a former education editor for the New York Times and produces the guide to help students and parents choose which college to attend.

The Princeton Review also named CSU as one of the best colleges for an undergraduate education.

CSU was in the top 300 of the country’s 2,500 four-year schools. The finish was good enough to place in the top 15 percent.

— Collegian Staff Report