Thankful to be broke

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

It’s that time of year again. The birds are singing, Prospect Road is a perpetual traffic jam of crappy, bumper-sticker laden cars and the greater Fort Collins community is putting the noise complaint hot-line on speed-dial.

The students are back, and we’re about to begin another bountiful year of learning.

And while our mounting student loans, barren bank statements and dwindling supply of Ramen noodles tell us otherwise, the university would like us to know that we attend a “Walmart” of higher education, a place where value and quality collide to create the ultimate investment in our future.
Because obviously, a 20-percent-tuition spike screams “value.” And the fact that many of last year’s graduates still don’t have jobs totally makes spending tens of thousand dollars on a degree seem like a good investment.

Scratch that, it’s still a better investment than the stock market.

And while anyone who has watched the news knows that the economy is to blame for our higher education woes, it still doesn’t make paying that tuition bill any easier to stomach.

But remember: less than 10 percent of the world’s population even has the opportunity to pay those tuition bills, and we’re part of a very small, and very lucky, minority who are fortunate enough to receive a higher education.

It’s easy to dwell on how broke we are, and how expensive college is getting, but it’s even easier to forget that we are at least given a fighting chance to do something that billions of other people wish they had the opportunity to do.

And that’s the message we leave you with for this coming year: it’s hard out there, but in the end, be thankful that you’re here. A lot of people aren’t that fortunate.