Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Over the summer, after requiring Associated Students of CSU members to work a minimum of 10 hours a week, ASCSU President Eric Berlinberg and Vice President Rachel Robertson chipped away at their vast campaign promises.

“It’s our job over summer to get things started,” Berlinberg said. “The problem in previous years is the learning curve and things didn’t get started until October.”

On top of working on campaign promises, ASCSU has been working this summer to streamline other areas.

ASCSU is starting a Summer Funding Board, which will approve funds for CSU to host events at the beginning of the year.

The Student Fee Board, which approves money for organizations on campus, previously would not be able to grant money until about a month into the fall semester. This would mean that organizations would not be able to host events until later in the fall semester.

Director of Finance Matt Strauch said that no one had ever addressed the issue.

Now, with the Summer Funding Board, five members can grant up to $3,000 to each CSU organization to host events in the first few weeks of the semester.

“We have badly needed a summer funding program for years and years,” Strauch said.

The money will come from the ASCSU general fund and then ASCSU will ask the 10 members of the full SFB to backfill those funds at the Sept. 1 meeting.

If the SFB does not approve the funds, then ASCSU will not have the money they gave replaced.

Strauch said the limit was kept to $3,000, so if by chance the full board did not approve the funds, ASCSU would not be losing too much money.

Berlinberg also completed the process of bringing “The Onion” to campus, which will appear in the Collegian every Wednesday.

On top of creating this funding board and approving “The Onion,” ASCSU is working on a project that will help students better understand rising tuition.

ASCSU members worked on testing what they call a “tuition calculator.” Students will be able to log in using their eID and password and enter information including their year, major and college and it will give a broken down view of their tuition.

“It gives students a way to set a budget,” McConnell said. “It’s a major thing to know what you’re paying. It will take away a little bit of confusion.”

RamRide patrons can also expect a change in operations for the 2011-2012 school year, including shorter wait times and more incentives for student volunteers, according to officials.

An agreement signed with Motorpool, a company part of CSU’s Transportation Services Department, will increase the number of vehicles made available to RamRide, Berlinberg said. The agreement guarantees nine vehicles Thursdays (up from six vehicles in 2010-2011), and 19 vehicles on Fridays and Saturdays (up from 15 vehicles in 2010-2011).

But with an increased number of vehicles comes a heightened demand for student volunteers.

According to Berlinberg, RamRide has struggled in the past with getting student’s to volunteer for the program.

“It’s a double edged sword,” he said. “We have experienced long wait times in the past because we don’t have the volunteers to fill up cars.”

But beginning this fall, student organizations will have more of an incentive to volunteer with a 41 percent increase in payment to organizations who participate with rollover funds from 2010-2011.

“Increasing money that we can pay to student organizations will hopefully alleviate the demand for volunteers,” Berlinberg said.

“The increase will serve as a huge fundraising tool for organizations and will hopefully help us get the numbers of volunteers needed,” he said.

As an added benefit, any student who volunteers for RamRide will receive a free T-shirt.

According to ASCSU Public Relations Coordinator Danielle McConnell, RamRide is an essential program to the Fort Collins community and this year has the ability to be better than ever.