Clear Your Mind

Authors: Natasha Leadem

For those who haven’t heard of ear candling yet, maybe it’s time they cleaned out their ears. Utilized for centuries as a holistic treatment for not only physical health, but spiritual health as well, ear candles leave users feeling relaxed and refreshed.

“I don’t use them all the time, but when I do they are soothing,” said Nigel Daniels, a sophomore political science major at Colorado State University.

Ear candles are hollow cotton cones covered in beeswax and are used to withdraw excess earwax. This unconventional treatment can be bought at any grocery store, and online retailers offer a wide range of scented candles as well.

In order to use an ear candle, the open end is lit on fire while the tip is placed through a hole in a paper plate and then inserted into a person’s ear. The flame creates a small vacuum, withdrawing the wax.

“It feels really good,” said Shannon McCoy, a sophomore at CSU. “And when you open it up in the end its kind of gross how much ear wax there is.”

While ear candling is a widely used holistic practice, it is not recognized as a medical treatment or recommended by western modern medicine. When used incorrectly, ear candles can cause injuries to their users.

“You won’t find a trained specialist that would recommend ear candling,” said Dr. Bruce Smith, an Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist in Northern Colorado. “The only time I see patients about ear candles is when something has gone wrong, but it is rare.”

Some of the more common cases of ear candle related incidents include burns from melting wax, or ear blockage from melting wax falling in the ear. However, these incidents can often be avoided.
Whether for the interesting sensation or to relax after a long night of homework, ear candles are just something fun to try and easy to find.