A perpetual debate rages on in the good old U.S.A. as to the importance and trustworthiness of user-generated content.

The sports community felt the first growing pangs when bloggers began receiving attention from fans and analysts for their information and content.

As we have all witnessed recently, willingly or otherwise, the 2012 campaign season heaved itself out of the gate and into the distended belly of the mainstream media in the form of the debt ceiling debate.

A thought occurred to me after a lengthy and heated debate featuring someone who put all of the blame for the situation on a diseased and decaying system of prostitution passing for the federal government.

Meanwhile my opposition felt the party of no ideas — Democrats — was bending over backward to reach a compromise with the party of bad ideas — Republicans.

For the record, if you handled your own expenses with even one percent of the incompetence of the federal government, you would be beaten in the street by large Middle Eastern and Asian thugs you borrowed from too often.

Back to the point at hand: the youngest voters showed up in droves in 2008 for the general election. Many even participated in the primaries. A great deal of pressure comes from the media, academia and society for citizens to get involved, to vote and let your voice be heard.

My advice and heartfelt request: ignore them and stay home.

As the mainstream media of television, newspapers, radio and webpages dedicated to the first three gather steam to cover every juicy tidbit of sensationalist and meaningless crap from every candidate’s past, I give you my blessing to ignore it all, spark one up and watch reruns of “Beavis and Butthead.”

The entire system of this nation, from the federal government to the media to the school system is designed for one purpose: control.

Washington D.C. has no more urge to ensure you receive an education of relevant facts than I have to drive into Boulder with a buffalo rug dragging behind my car. Wait, scratch that — bad analogy, and I give up all rights to creative license should anyone decide to do so prior to the Showdown.

At any rate, the mainstream media exists to make money. At one point they actually managed the occasional success in holding D.C. accountable, but at this point, the best we can hope for is a book ghost-written by a politician to reveal the coke-fueled orgies that take place prior to bipartisan closed-door sessions.

The reality of the next election is the candidates will punch out the talking points according to what their party wants, and they will do their best to stick to these points despite the ludicrous idea of a politician sticking to anything besides the seat of the toilet.

I have been very forthright in my support for Ron Paul — his momentum is gathering and he is receiving record donations once again, and it seems this time the media will not blackball him from the primary debates. Gary Johnson, on the other hand, has been typecast as the rogue libertarian despite having views nearly identical to Paul’s.

If the only news you receive regarding political goings on is from television, newspapers and radio, please, do not contribute to the lines at the voting booths, and do not pander to the street-walkers pushing to register you to vote.

Above all, if you decide you want to seek the facts on a candidate or law, do not, under any circumstances, take the word of a politically affiliated website. Moveon.org and whatever the right-wing equivalent is, are designed to spin things in as favorable a light as possible.

Either seek information from reliable and non-mainstream sources, or do not be sucked in by either party telling you why their whore is best for you.

The candidate running without the support of their party is the candidate to study. Anyone who receives the endorsement of the mainstream is the status quo.

Seth J. Stern is an optimist and hopes no one votes in 2012. His column appears as needed in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.