Authors: Jason Berlinberg

Cowboys and Aliens” is an average, western/sci-fi mash-up that was made as an excuse to have James Bond and Indiana Jones in a movie at the same time; I’m sure of it.

Maybe there was a little more to it, but I wouldn’t really blame director Jon Favreau if he simply wanted Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford snarling on screen together.

I just wish that Favreau had put them together in something a little more interesting.

“Cowboys and Aliens” stars Craig as outlaw Jake Lonergan, who wakes up in the middle of the desert with no memory of who he is or where he came from.

He is captured by an irritable lawman (Harrison Ford) and gets escorted out of town when a pack of aliens attacks the town and changes Lonergan’s plans.

For having such an impressive cast list that boasts the talents of not only Craig and Ford, but also the underrated Sam Rockwell and Paul Dano, “Cowboys and Aliens” does not show off their acting abilities at all.

It seems as if all of the actors were told to just talk slower in order to make the scenes come off as more dramatic. However, the acting throws off the pacing and clashes with the big-budget action sequences.

Coming off of “Iron Man 2,” Favreau had a lot to prove to regain his reputation as a first-rate director. Instead, he created another mediocre movie with little-to-no creativity to back up its interesting premise.

It is cool to see Craig in a very Bond-ish role, but Ford and the other actors definitely are not given much to work with.

_Movie reviewer Jason Berlinberg can be reached at verve@collegian.com. _