Jul 122011

Authors: Jason Berlinberg

Quick on the heels of such titles as “The Hangover 2” and “Bridesmades” in the 2011 R-rated comedy realm is “Horrible Bosses,” a title that rides on the skill of its diverse, talented cast rather than on an imaginative script.

The movie depicts the misery that a trio of average Joes (Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, and Jason Sudeikis) face at the expense of their cold-blooded, ruthless bosses.

Each boss does something to push their despondent employees to the edge — just far enough to make the trio conspire to have their bosses killed.

Especially sinister is Bateman’s corporate tyrant David Harken, a sadistic megalomaniac played by the wonderfully evil Kevin Spacey.

“Horrible Bosses” creates situational comedy that its main trio, especially “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” star Charlie Day, run away with and make their own. It is not necessarily the jokes that make this one funny.

Just when you think that the movie will remain straightforward, it creatively adapts to prevent itself from falling off the rails.

And although there are a number of top-flight actors in the movie, a few members of the star-studded cast seem like afterthoughts.

Colin Farrell’s coke-head bully does as much for the movie as his gross comb over, and Jamie Foxx does nothing more than take up space as the unsavory character the trio visits to “take care” of their bosses.

If it weren’t for its main trio, “Horrible Bosses” would just be an average comedy with an interesting premise that falls short of its desired payoff. But on the strong comedic shoulders of Bateman, Day and Sudeikis, the movie stays afloat and proves to be one of the funniest of the year.

Movie reviewer Jason Berlinberg can be reached at verve@collegian.com and can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonberlinberg.