Jul 122011

Authors: Allison Sylte

Blake announced late last week that he is stepping down from his post after the completion of the CSU-Pueblo presidential search, which he expects to end in early fall.

Blake, 75, said he hopes to continue to work with the CSU system in different roles, such as donor relations and teaching.

“It’s an opportunity to step down from the day-to-day responsibilities, but continue to take advantage of the wonderful, serendipitous opportunity to continue the passion I have for CSU,” Blake said.
To fill Blake’s post, the Board of Governors has begun assembling a chancellor search committee (to be chaired by former BOG Chair Pat McConathy), but Blake emphasizes that when the time does come for him to step down, the process will be a steady transition rather than an immediate cession.

Both Blake and CSU Spokesman Brad Bohlander said that it is too early to comment on the specifics of the Chancellor search as the BOG has only just begun discussing the process. CSU President Tony Frank was unavailable for comment.

“Joe has taught us much and led the CSU System through challenging financial times,” said BOG Chairman Joe Zimlich in a press release. “He has done a fantastic job representing the entire CSU System as well as the needs of the individual campuses.

Blake was first hired as system chancellor in May 2009 after nearly spending a decade as the president and CEO of the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce.

Blake is the university’s first sole system chancellor. The chancellor position was initially held by the president of CSU-Fort Collins until the BOG decided that holding both titles was too difficult and created a separate chancellor’s office.

“Being chancellor of the CSU System was the highlight of my career,” Blake said.

Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com.

The Chancellor’s job

• Represents the campuses to the Colorado Legislature, Colorado Congressional Delegation, the Department of Higher Education, business and civic leaders
  • The Chancellor is the chief lobbyist and spokesperson for the CSU system
  • Acts as the chief marketing officer for the CSU System and gives presentations around the state and nation about the university’s contributions to society
  • The chancellor works with campus presidents to develop operating budgets to be approved by the BOG during the June retreat