Jul 082011

Authors: Allison Sylte

CSU System Chancellor Joe Blake publicly announced last night that he was stepping down from his post as chancellor to take on greater roles in alumni and donor relations.

“It’s a two-fold decision. One part is to recapture a bit of my personal life, because this is much, much more than a full-time job,” Blake said. “And yet, it’s a also a wonderful opportunity to continue with the passion I have for CSU.”

Blake was first named chancellor of the CSU System in May, 2009. Prior to that, Blake, a Colorado native, served as president and CEO of the Denver Chamber of Commerce for more than a decade.

“Being chancellor of the CSU System was the highlight of my career,” Blake said in a press release.

He first addressed his intention to step down earlier this summer to the Board of Governors. Blake will not step down until the search for a CSU-Pueblo President is complete, which he said in an interview with the Collegian won’t be until this fall.

The BOG will create a “Chancellor Search Committee,” chaired by former BOG Chair Pat McConathy, tasked with filling Blake’s position.

Blake was CSU’s first “sole” system chancellor, and was charged with representing CSU across the CSU-Fort Collins, Pueblo and Global campuses.

“We are grateful for his service and delighted he will use his passion for higher education and his contacts to further the mission of the CSU system,” said BOG Chairman Joe Zimlich in a press release.

On top of assisting in alumni and donor relations, jobs that Blake said he has a passion for, Blake also hopes to teach at both the Pueblo and Fort Collins campuses once he’s relieved of his duties as chancellor.

Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com.