Jul 052011

Authors: Vashti Batjargal

Editor’s Note: In this Collegian article, we incorrectly said, “the cost of an undergraduate resident-base tuition would increase to $8,037” and, “three years ago CSU was receiving $39 million from the state of Colorado for higher education. In the last year $23 million has been lost due to a tighter state budget.” The Collegian regrets its error.

Last week CSU made national headlines for being one of “worst offenders” in the nation compared to other universities for tuition increases, according to CNNMoney.com.

The article is based on a report from the Department of Education’s College Affordability and Transparency list of schools whose average net prices had dramatically increased for its undergraduate students.

Average net price is calculated by subtracting tuition and other costs from financial aid received. It’s a calculation that the Department of Education is requiring schools to feature on their websites by October in an effort to make college costs more transparent for students.

Schools with drastic tuition increases are required to submit a report to the department to explain why costs have gone up and how the institution will address rising prices, according to the Department of Education’s website.

The Department of Education has not yet requested a report from CSU, said university spokesman Brad Bohlander.

“A representative did look into it and we have not received anything at this point,” Bohlander said. The school is expecting to see a request soon.

CSU has been addressing questions from the student body for months now regarding tuition increases. These questions mainly come in the form of emails from CSU President Tony Frank and Provost Rick Miranda.

“The best thing [Frank] could do is keep open communication with students and I feel that he’s done that,” said Tony Speed, a sophomore civil engineering major. “With the loss of state money they have to do what they have to do.”

For this fiscal year, which started July 1, CSU lost $23 million in state funding compared to last year. The total three-year reduction (including this $23 million) is nearly $39 million.

In response to the funding cuts CSU has been implementing a multi-year plan to reduce spending.

The proposed budget was approved by CSU’s Board of Governors in June and included a 20 percent tuition hike for students.

The increase stems from the plan approved by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education, which stipulates that students will now pay for the first 12 credits instead of just paying for the first 10 full-time credit hours.

The cost of an undergraduate resident-base tuition will increase to $6,307 per year from the current $5,266.

For some students tuition increases mean larger debt in an unsure job market.
Shannon Stirling, a junior health and exercise science major will take out approximately $10,000 a year in loans for her tuition and costs.

“It’ll be worth it,” said Stirling about the debt incurred to receive her degree. “If
you ask people who graduated and still don’t have jobs, I don’t know if they’d agree.”

Staff writer Vashti Batjargal can be reached at news@collegian.com.