An ASCSU improvement

Jul 052011

Authors: Collegain Editorial Staff

When Eric Berlinberg and Rachel Roberson were running for ASCSU president and vice president back in April, the duo said, if elected, they would plan on having the most revolutionary administration in the history of our student government.

Well, they were elected, and they’re on the right track.

For the first time in ASCSU history, members have been required to work over the summer, setting themselves up for a successful start to the year compared to previous administrations.

In addition to already getting approval for “The Onion,” ASCSU has started working on a tuition calculator and created a Summer Funding Board, which will approve funds and let CSU host more events at the beginning of the year.

Through the new funding board, five members will be able to grant up to $3,000 to CSU organizations, helping more events take place in the first weeks of the semester and giving attention to an issue that had never really been addressed.

By working harder in the summer, Berlinberg’s hope is to organize areas of student government so they can get a running start instead of waiting until October to get into the swing of things.

So, while the school year may seem far away for most, it’s still fresh on the minds of our student leaders. And though the thought of being back in those lecture halls may lead to anger or frustration, ASCSU’s progress might cause something else: optimism.