Jun 212011

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

For 22 years, the Colorado Brewer’s Fest has been bringing people together to celebrate something that holds a special place in our devoted hearts — beer.

And if event officials learned anything from last year’s disastrous turnout, it was to never mess with our lifeblood again.

In an effort to mix up the decades-long tradition, Brew Fest planners created a new format last year, changing the location and the way festivalgoers sampled their favorite brews.

But, now they have come to their senses and decided to listen to what residents want, reverting this year’s festival back to its former glory. And we, devoted Fort Collins Residents and beer drinkers, couldn’t be happier.

Although they have kept the location at last year’s spot, Civic Center Park, attendees will once again be able to stay all day, using $1 tokens to sample beers from local breweries. This is a change from last year’s method of having to pay a large cover charge before being kicked out after a few hours of free samples.

This year’s format, which stays true to the former tradition, will allow everyone to enjoy a full day of kicking back and meeting with brewers, furthering our town’s impressive beer culture and allowing our hard-working neighbors to get a little sloshed on a weekend afternoon.

So here’s to an old and improved Colorado Brewer’s Fest because, let’s face it, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.