Jun 212011

Authors: Allison Sylte

The CSU Board of Governors announced Monday that Bohemian Companies CEO Joe Zimlich was elected BOG Chairman during the first day of the annual BOG retreat in Pingree Park, which lasts through Wednesday.

Zimlich will replace current chairman Pat McConathy, whose term expires at the end of this year.

“I look forward to working closely with Joe over the next 12 months of my administration, and know that he will be a positive asset to our system for the next two years,” said ASCSU President and BOG student representative Eric Berlinberg in an email to the Collegian.

Zimlich’s membership to the BOG was confirmed in early 2008 after being appointed by then-governor Bill Ritter. Ritter is currently serving as the director of CSU’s Center for the New Energy Economy.

A portion of the funding for the Center comes from Pat Stryker, the founder of the Bohemian Foundation, a philanthropic organization that is managed by Bohemian Companies. Stryker received an honorary doctorate from CSU this spring.

Prior to his election as BOG chair, Zimlich served as the BOG treasurer and on the academic affairs, evaluation, finance and real estate/facilities committee, and as the Liaison for the CSU Foundation.

Zimlich was unavailable for comment when the Collegian went to press.

Dorothy Horrell was elected as vice-chair, Don Eilliman as treasurer and Ed Haselden as secretary.

The board also approved President Tony Frank’s tuition package for 2011/12, which included raising the credit gap from 10 to 12, effectively raising tuition by 20 percent for full time students.

In addition, this measure adds differential tuition for upperclassmen, which means that some students may see tuition hikes up to 25 percent next year.

These tuition increases stayed true to Frank’s communications throughout the school year, and CSU Spokesman Brad Bohlander said there were “no suprises.”

“The budget process of our campuses will continue to be a challenge to balance access and affordability with the realities of higher education,” said CSU System Chancellor Joe Blake in a press release.

Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com.