Jun 142011

“U.S. News & World Report” recently published its rankings of 20 diets –– judged by a panel of unidentified experts, according to the useless government-recommended intake guidelines.

Surprise: The government-endorsed “DASH” diet took the top spot. How this passes as anything other than yellow journalism exceeds my tolerance for stupidity.

This typically would not have caught my attention, but the Paleo Diet, ranked last by the panel, is the domain of CSU’s own Loren Cordain, Ph.D., Health and Exercise Sciences.

The Paleo Diet comes from one simple, scientific and undeniable fact: Our bodies have not significantly evolved digestively since the Paleolithic Era.

Instead of grains, sugars, processed foods, dairy and legumes, the diet suggests consuming what a human would eat before packaged food –– namely fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts and lean proteins like eggs, fish, poultry etc.

When judged against the dietary guidelines published by a government paying crops subsidies in the billions of dollars to grain, sugar and dairy producers, any diet not conforming will fail, despite the scientific evidence against those government recommendations.

The erroneous findings in “U.S. News” cited a lack of scientific evidence to support the credibility of the Paleo Diet. Or worse, the experts were either ignorant or lying.

Dr. Cordain responded to the panel’s findings in a letter. He cited five major studies which, “experimentally tested contemporary versions of ancestral human diets and have found them to be superior to Mediterranean diets, diabetic diets and typical western diets in regards to weight loss, cardiovascular disease risk factors and risk factors for type 2 diabetes.”

“U.S. News” claimed Paleo had: unknown weight loss benefit, unknown cardiovascular benefit, fat consumption that would “worry most experts,” unknown diabetes control benefit, potential health risks, declared most diabetes experts recommend more whole grain and dairy and finally suggested careless meat consumption would “ratchet up your risk for heart problems.”

Not surprisingly,“U.S. News” failed to contact Dr. Cordain prior to publication of its specious findings. In other words, a major U.S. news magazine never contacted the academic face of the Paleo Diet prior to telling the world it had no evidence the diet works and may very well be dangerous.

Dr. Cordain organized an effective, honest and factual reply to the magazine, disproving every claim made by its panel with the exception of diet content, which the panel mostly had right.

Today’s mainstream media fails to hold the federal government accountable and has become its lapdog instead.

The media manages to find flaws in the military that protect its rights under the First Amendment, but fails to effectively report on the serious actions of a civilian government that rarely bothers to hide its incompetence and flaunts its willingness to step on millions.

In the past week, news stories demonstrated the astonishing stupidity of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms leadership. The bureau intended to demonstrate the ineffectiveness of gun laws by forcing a gun storeowner to ignore current gun laws, but instead underwrote the explosion of gun violence in Mexico.

As of 3 a.m. Saturday, only Fox News, of the major news websites, carried any information on the story.

While the mainstream media demonstrates apathy, educated consumers must seek information from reliable alternatives.
On Thursday, June 9, “Natural News’” website broke a story concerning the Food and Drug Administration admitting, after 60 years of denial, most chicken sold in the U.S. contained arsenic –– a known cancer-causer.

A Google search of the keywords “FDA admits chicken contained arsenic” yielded only two stories by Google-recognized “news outlets.”

This week, “U.S. News” ignored the science-backed findings of one of CSU’s finest, and the mainstream media ignored two major stories demonstrating gross incompetence and corruption. Those are just the three examples I know of, and I have little doubt it is worse than these.

Deception, lies, murder and poisoning: This is the legacy of the mainstream media’s failure to report the truth behind the federal government’s actions.

Seth J. Stern does not trust government and follows the Paleo Diet. Like a superhero, his column appears when needed in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.