Crime wave shocks city

Jun 142011

Authors: Andrew Carrera

The typical quiet Fort Collins summer has all but disappeared as a result of the city’s increasing population, said Fort Collins Police Department spokeswoman Rita Davis.

Years ago, she said, summertime was quiet because there were fewer people, especially when college students left campus for the summer. With that, there was less crime.

“However, in recent years what we’ve been seeing is that we really don’t have a lull in crime,” she said.

In the past 10 days, Fort Collins has seen one fatal beating, a random drive-by shooting and a “suspicious” fire that torched four CSU vehicles.

There have also been 100 reported incidents of broken windows across the city over the past three-and-a-half weeks.

“Up until just this last weekend, it was a normal summer,” Davis said. “It may be all of the crime activities that occur this summer. We don’t know.”

Fort Collins residents close to individuals implicated in the increased level of mischief ––both victims and accused

perpetrators –– have raised concerns on locally-based websites that the activity is gang-related.

Davis was quick to warn against such speculations.

“The crime that we’ve been seeing, some of it might have some gang activity associatedwith it, meaning mostly gang-involved, not gang-motivated,” she said. “You can be a member of a gang and you could go out and shoplift, but you didn’t do it as a result of being part of a gang. It was just your individual decision to do that.”

The last time the city experienced an uptick in gang violence was “in the early to mid-90s,” she said.

CSU spokesman Brad Bohlander said details of the investigation into the campus fire could not be released, only that university officials are cooperating closely with the Poudre Fire Authority as they dive further into the case.

“PFA and CSUPD Investigators are working to determine the origin and cause. The fire is considered suspicious,” a Poudre Fire Authority press release said.

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Crime breakdown

• Drive-by shooting
    Anyone with information about the incident is encouraged to contact Fort Collins Police Services Detective Siobhan Jungmeyer at 970-416-2195 or Crime Stoppers of Larimer County at 970-221-6868.
  • Beating
    Those with information are asked to contact Fort Collins Police Services Detective Jim Lenderts at 970-416-2949 or Crime Stoppers of Larimer County at 970-221-6868.
  • Suspicious CSU fire
    Those with information should contact the Colorado Arson Hotline at (877) 892-7766 or (877) 89-ARSON.
  • Crime Stoppers may also be reached through its website at www.stop
    criminals.org.