Jun 062011

Authors: Erin Udell

Fort Collins police are investigating a drive-by shooting that landed one CSU student in the hospital early Monday morning.

Jamie Warfield, a 22-year-old health and exercise science major, was walking from Old Town with a group of friends around 1:50 a.m. when the incident occurred outside of an apartment near Myrtle and Remington Streets.

In a press release, Fort Collins police said witnesses saw a dark-colored truck or SUV approach the group at a slow speed before firing a single gunshot, which struck Warfield in the mid-section and caused her to fall to the ground.

Rita Davis, spokeswoman for the Fort Collins police, said there was no prior altercation to indicate the attack was planned.

“At this point, we think it was random,” Davis said.

Warfield, who is finishing her final course at CSU this summer, was transferred to the Medical Center of the Rockies shortly after the attack.

Police ask anyone with information to contact Detective Siobhan Jungmeyer at (970) 416-2195.

As for students and Fort Collins residents who frequent areas surrounding the shooting site, Davis said it is extremely important to be cautious.

“As always, you need to be cognizant of your surroundings and vigilant of your personal safety,” Davis said. “If you see anything that is out of the norm, don’t hesitate the contact the police.”

News Editor Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.