Authors: Logan Triesch, College Avenune Magazine

Growing up in Fort Collins, split between two households, Matt Strauch found himself spending countless hours reading in the Morgan Library, awaiting his turn to experience the college life. When the time finally arrived to choose a college, he chose what was familiar.

“It was just sort of a natural choice because of my story and where I lived,” Strauch said.

Strauch is getting his first taste of graduation this semester by receiving his bachelor’s degree in theater and will continue on through fall of 2012 to finish his bachelor’s degree in social work.

While taking 24 credits this semester, Strauch is also the director of Legislative Affairs and director of Public Relations for the Associated Students of Colorado State University.

Former ASCSU President Cooper Anderson has worked with Strauch on many levels, and though Strauch worked for Anderson’s opponent in the 2010 ASCSU elections, they have become allies in the office.

“The thing about Matt is that he has always told me, ‘If you want something done, give it to a busy person,’ and he is the epitome of that,” Anderson said. “I wish I had 100 Matts. I don’t know how overwhelming that would be, but I do.”

Strauch hopes to get involved in arts management, as he currently puts a lot of time into the T.R. Paul Academy of Arts and Knowledge and the Arts in Education Foundation, based in Fort Collins.

“I feel strongly about people who are engaged in the arts. They are generally happier people, are people who do better in school and people who generally stay out of trouble,” Strauch said. “Art is out of the box, it is about how you experience it, not how it is presented.”

Not only has Strauch been involved in these organizations, he has also been in more than 100 theater productions locally and regionally since he began college at CSU.

In Strauch’s work with ASCSU he has worked with Ramride, hand-in-hand with Eric Berlinberg, the newly elected ASCSU president.

“Matt is a huge asset to this organization,” Berlinberg, said. “He is so professional for his age.”

While Strauch continues on with his last few semesters as a student at CSU, he looks into the future, anticipating a move to France with his partner and deciding on the next steps he will take in life.

“I have always had my life planned out,” Strauch said. “It is nice to have some uncertainty.”

College Avenue reporter Logan Triesch can be reached at csumag@lamar.colostate.edu.