Authors: Nick Childs

CSU was no match for the BYU Cougars on Thursday evening, falling to the conference leaders 18-5 in the final Mountain West Conference meeting between the two sides.

BYU (34-15, 8-1 MWC) is joining the West Coast Conference after this season.
Four of the nine BYU starters registered multi-hit games, as the Cougars were able to put up at least one run in each of the five innings.

Paige Affleck, BYU’s star pitcher, allowed just one run in 4.2 innings of work.

The Rams (7-39, 0-10) finally got some offense going in the fourth inning when Hannah Howell replaced Affleck. The Rams lit up Howell for four runs before Affleck re-entered the game to secure the Cougar’s ninth straight win.

Alexa Cash started on the mound for the Rams but only lasted one inning and surrendered four earned runs. Desiree Laswell followed Cash only to allow 13 runs, only eight of which were earned, and Kelsey Jo O’Brien finished the game, pitching one inning and giving up one run.

CSU will take on the University of Utah today at 4 p.m. and again tomorrow at 1 p.m. The Utes are currently second in the Mountain West Conference standings.

The Utes have struggled of late, losing two straight games going into yesterday’s contest against the University of New Mexico Lobos.

The first time these two teams met, the Utes defeated the Rams 15-4 in a mercy-rule shortened game. The Rams allowed seven unearned runs in the contest.

The Utes bring feature a high-powered offense that ranks second in the conference in runs, hits and RBI. They also have five players with batting averages over .300, whereas the Rams only have one.

After this weekend, the Rams take to the road for their final three regular-season games. They play once at SDSU on Thursday before closing the season at UNLV Friday and Saturday.

Softball Beat Reporter Nick Childs can be reached at sports@collegian.com.