Authors: Courtney Riley

In August 1969, 500,000 people gathered on a 600-acre dairy farm in White Lake, N.Y., to watch 32 musical acts perform during one historic weekend of sex, drugs and rock and roll: Woodstock.
Joni Mitchell, who wrote a famous anthem about the festival, once said, “Woodstock was a spark of beauty.”

CSU’s Association for Student Activity Programming (ASAP) is taking that historical spark and recreating it on the West Lawn this Friday with an eight-hour music festival featuring 18 bands: Ramstock.

“We wanted to do a little twist on Woodstock and hopefully start a tradition,” said Ali Pavlak, a member of ASAP.

The event is free to students and will last from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. There will be tents set up with food for sale between 4 and 7 p.m., as well as activities for students to participate in, such as tie-dying.

The Undie Run, an event in which participants strip to their underwear, donate their clothes to charity and run throughout campus, will be combined with Ramstock.

“It’s going to be a nice, outdoor atmosphere for everyone to come hang out on their last day of school,” Pavlak said.

The musical groups include 11 student bands and seven local headliners, performing music appealing to almost any taste, ranging from hip hop to bluegrass, as well as rock, acoustic, funk, soul, metal and more.

“We wanted to bring the Colorado music atmosphere to campus,” she said. “A lot of people are familiar with the bands or have friends in them.”
Jon Shockness, one of the two vocalists of a Denver band headlining the event, Air Dubai, said he and his band mates always have a good time in Fort Collins and are looking forward to performing at Ramstock.

“It’s always fun to get out of Denver, see new places, meet new people and get a larger fan base,” he said. “I’m most excited to see people performing and see something new.”

Air Dubai began as a duet in 2008 consisting of Shockness and the current band’s other vocalist, Julian Thomas.

But it has transformed into a seven-member hip hop/ post punk/ psychedelic band that has produced several albums and played with OneRepublic, The Flobots, The Game and other famous bands.

They have played at many different venues throughout Colorado, including The Ogden, The Bluebird and The Aggie and have also made an appearance at the University of Wyoming and a music festival in Arizona.

“We wanted to do something different musically for ourselves as artists,” Shockness said. “We just like to create music and see where it takes us. The best bands have that goal in life.”

He said he is passionate about music because it’s his life, and he has always been a lover of music as an art form.

“All of us as musicians are passionate about music itself,” he said. “We put that same passion into the music we create.”

Shockness said his fellow members of Air Dubai are some of the most talented people he has ever worked with, and it feels awesome to be a part of such a talented group.

“I like observing everyone else and being amazed at the stuff they can do,” he said. “I’m blessed to be put into a group full of six amazing people.”

_ASCSU Beat Reporter Courtney Riley can be reached at news@collegian.com. _