Authors: Nic Turiciano

I recently flipped the TV channel to a broadcast of an Italian orchestra. I was transfixed.

It was probably 10 minutes before I started to wonder: Why am I finding this so appealing? I’ve never played any of those classical instruments. I’ve never had lessons in music theory. My parents never tried to lull me to sleep with classical music. It wouldn’t have worked.
Suddenly I had connected with a world that I wasn’t a part of, and it’s because music is the same whether it was made in 1859 or 2009. But in 1859 you had to go see a concert or play an instrument yourself if you wanted to enjoy music. Now all you have to do is type an artist’s name into Google.

Certain people –– record executives, record stores and, yes, the artists––have suffered from the changes in the music industry. It sucks for them, but it’s really, really good for the rest of us.

We can consume more music than any other generation before us. It’s at the expense of others, but I can live with that.

Bands still make money from touring. A lot of people in the record industry deserve what they are getting. As for record stores, well, I guess the free market won. Sorry. If it weren’t for them this review would be 5 stars.

Despite this, it seems that more people are making music than ever before. What’s better, a lot of them don’t mind giving their work away.  
It’s as if the great collapse of the industry has created a new environment, one where the prospects of wealth play a smaller role than the drive to make music.

As for the future of the music industry, I have no worries. A lot has changed since the heyday of the orchestra. Jazz was created, the Beatles conquered the world, Michael Jackson was born and then murdered. Through all of it, though, people have continued to make music and will continue to in the future.

Music Reviewer Nic Turiciano can be reached at Verve@collegian.com.