Authors: Anna Baldwin and Eugene Daniels

By Anna Baldwin

Follow your dreams. But also follow your boyfriend wherever he goes after graduation. So, maybe more like follow your heart?

In the spirit of the greatest day of my life –– college graduation ––, Eugene and I decided to write on the subject.

I have to celebrate the day somehow because I’m basically going to be unemployed after the big day. Unemployment equals no money for beer. That’s OK though because I’ll be unemployed and sober in the same city as my love.

Sidenote –– Eugene isn’t graduating this year, but don’t bring it up with him because it’s a sore subject.

So, maybe following your boyfriend just anywhere isn’t the best idea. Be smart about it.

Did you graduate with an apparel design degree? Then don’t agree to move with your man to Nebraska. There’s not going to be a lot of opportunities for fashion in that state. It’s okay that I bash Nebraska because I’m from there, and I know how horrible it is.

Even after you decide to move with him, still don’t just limit your job search to only that one place. Still check for jobs located anywhere.
Maybe you’ll find a job you are qualified for NASA or Google. You just can’t pass up an absolutely amazing opportunity.

In the end, my reasoning is that after four or more years of hard work in school, everyone deserves a little time for some fun and messing around, so it’s not a huge deal if you move or go with your boyfriend because it shouldn’t be all seriousness right away.

To wrap up, I’d like to thank you, readers, for taking time out of your day each week this past year to read the column right after glancing at RamTalk and the headlines in the rest of the paper. I really appreciated the many comments and letters to the editor throughout the year.

I also want to thank my stellar parents, hilarious and one-of-kind siblings (who I think never even read the column), my amazing friends in Colorado and back home and finally, Jake. Stokes up!

Now, I’m off to glorious days of no homework or ridiculous exams and who knows what else, who knows where and who knows with who. It was a good run, folks. Go Rams!

By Eugene Daniels

Soooo … I see Miss Baldwin giving you people horrible advice again. “Follow your heart,” and “follow your [significant other].”

Obviously she wants to be on the one-way train to cat lady land sooner than I thought. Do not ever follow anyone your with after college to another state simply because you’re “in love.”

That is grounds for a punch in the face by me.

Just because your girlfriend or boyfriend goes somewhere doesn’t mean that you need to follow them. What are you? 12?

I understand that you guys may be in love and want to maybe one day get married, however, at this point in our lives you are allowed to be selfish.

You need to decide who you want to be and what you want out of life without thinking where your significant other is going with his or her life.
Hate mail: “Eugene, love is important; we can’t live without love!” Don’t waste your breath because to me it’s going to be “blah, blah, blah, blah!”

Look, I get that you may be in love –– that’s great and all –– but you can’t have a healthy, sustained relationship if you are just chasing someone else and you aren’t working on yourself.

I think our generation is too scared of distance. That’s why we have all of the different social networking sites –– we’re terrified to be away from each other for even two seconds.

What happened to people who wanted to work on themselves and figure out where they fit in the world? Well clearly they are too busy following their relationships all over the damn country!

I beg this of the graduates and future graduates –– if you want to follow something, follow your dreams (yes, I know it’s the most well worn thing I’ve ever said and I apologize, but I mean it). Follow the thing you want to do with your life. And if all you want from life is being a housewife or househusband, then do that but I doubt if you’ll be fully satisfied.

Finally, I would like to thank Anna for writing this column with me and though I always make fun of her, I wish you all the best Miss Baldwin in your future. It’s been a pleasure writing with you this year, and I wish we had more time.

To my girlfriend and friends who are graduating –– good luck in whatever you want to do. You’re all amazing; I will miss you all and love you people.

And anyone who has read the column –– thank you for making this year extremely memorable.
See you next year!!

Anna Baldwin is a senior journalism major, and Eugene Daniels is a junior journalism major. Mars vs. Venus appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.