Authors: McClatchy-Tribune

WASHINGTON — Americans reveled Monday in the death of Osama bin Laden, a moment the Obama administration hoped would be a pivotal point in the long war against terrorism by showing the world that bin Laden lived and died as a hypocrite and a coward and that his terror network is headed toward destruction as well.

“This is a good day for America,” President Barack Obama proclaimed at the White House. “Our country has kept its commitment to see that justice is done. The world is safer; it is a better place because of the death of Osama bin Laden.”

Obama and his administration revealed more details of how bin Laden was found and killed early Monday in Pakistan. They told how bin Laden was shielded by one of his wives before both were shot to death and how the president and his aides monitored events in real time from an anxiety-filled White House Situation Room.

They also said they hope to parlay the death into a fresh campaign to turn hearts away from terror and that they will investigate to find out how bin Laden managed to hide for so long in Pakistan, a nominal ally.

With the terrorist mastermind killed by U.S. forces in a firefight and dispatched to an unmarked watery grave, much of the country felt elation nearly 10 years after bin Laden dispatched terrorists to hijack commercial airliners and use them to attack America on Sept. 11, 2001.

“We’ve seen that spirit, that patriotism, in the crowds that have gathered, here outside the White House, at ground zero in New York and across the country,” Obama said.