Authors: Vashti Batjargal

In the third city road construction project since October, Fort Collins residents will have to maneuver lane closures and slow traffic on Prospect Road from now until the project’s tentative completion date in July.

The City of Fort Collins Street Maintenance Program has chosen a section of Prospect Road to replace damaged curb, gutter and sidewalks, according to a press release. The construction started Monday.

The project will affect the areas between Shields Street and Lynnwood Drive, an area just west of Shields and Prospect Road. The road will not be completely closed, but traffic will be slowed to one lane for both east and westbound traffic.

“There’s something going on with the sidewalk on the south side of Prospect in that area,” said Jennifer Aldrich, a junior public relations major. “There’s a section of about 10 feet of sidewalk missing andcones and caution tape around it.”

Aldrich lives on Underhill Drive, southwest of the area about to undergo construction.

When riding her bike to campus, Aldrich usually cuts across the street at that point to avoid the damaged sidewalk and plans to take side streets to campus when construction begins.

In terms of the concentration of students, many live in the areas directly surrounding campus, with less students living in the area affected by construction.

“It’s not the highest concentration of students,” said Adrienne Battis, assistant director of Off-Campus Life. “We have a more densely populated area between West Elizabeth and Mulberry streets between Overland Trail and Taft Hill (Road).”

In the last couple of weeks, construction has affected residents in that area, with Springfield and Castlerock drives being closed for repair.

“We were cornered, we couldn’t get anywhere in my car, but now that Springfield Drive is open we take that to school,” said Evan Acerbo, a junior health and exercise sciences major.

Staff writer Vashti Batjargal can be reached at news@collegian.com.