Did Osama bin Laden fund atrocities and deserve justice? Without question. But what else should we understand?

Without an incompetent federal government, there is no Osama bin Laden.

In 2008 during the South Carolina GOP primary debate, Rep. Ron Paul had the extraordinary courage to identify American foreign policy’s role in the attacks of 9/11 and how B=bin Laden expressed he was quite pleased our military was deployed in response as it made Americans much easier to target.

Paul suggested we listen to our enemies when they explain why they have attacked us and cited one explanation of 9/11 was our continuing hostilities with Iraq, a Muslim nation, for more than 10 years.

“We’re building an embassy in Iraq that’s bigger than the Vatican, we’re building 14 permanent bases, what would we say here if China was doing this in our country or in the Gulf of Mexico?” Paul said. “We would be objecting, we need to look at what we do from the perspective of what would we do if someone did it to us.”

An apoplectic Rudy Giuliani said, “That’s an extraordinary statement, as someone who lived through the attack of Sept. 11. That we invited the attack because we were attacking Iraq.”

When Dennis Kucinich or Ron Paul suggests military intervention overseas foments hostility toward America, we recoil in horror as if hearing the emperor is naked.

The U.S. military is not to blame. Congress and the White House are.

I cannot claim with any degree of honesty to understand the devotion of people willing to die for their religion, but I most definitely accepted when I deployed to Kuwait in 1999 and Iraq in 2003, I was willing to die for the foreign policy decisions of my civilian leaders.

I cannot and will not say such a foolish thing ever again. The military has become the enforcement arm of one of the most corrupt congregations outside of Wall Street.

We have to recognize that consequences exist for government actions and we have a moral obligation to put an end to this cycle of electing the most narcissistic and morally bankrupt candidates available.

One man with deep pockets struggles to find supporters, one man with deep pockets recruiting in a region awash in violence and religious rule for decades against a singular visible enemy? You have a harder time finding your keys.

Again, for those who have made it this far, I do not blame the military but the elected. The repeated theme of military empires is contempt for the government and people to which they belong regardless of how the military conducts itself. Military presence results in animosity regardless of intent.

One needs only watch “Life of Brian” to understand the hatred germinated by an occupying military. Romanes eunt domus.

Since the attacks of 9/11, nearly a million people in the two nations have died as a consequence of violence either at the hands of the U.S. military executing the orders of the fetid swamp or insurgent acts of terror within their own borders.

One million from two countries with populations of approximately 60 million combined. We lost 3,000 in the initial attack of 9/11 and another 6,018 killed and thousands more wounded in the military since 2001.

We have a population of 300 million. To suffer to the same levels as the Afghanistan and Iraqi people we have to lose 5 million. How would we feel if the 3,000 lost in 9/11 were 5 million over 10 years?

Imagine Los Angeles and San Diego’s populations disappeared at the hands of China. Angry yet?

How do we look at the world through a filter that ignores the animosity this idiotic foreign policy breeds? Both parties since the late 1800s have perpetuated this lunacy.

Bin Laden is dead. Images of Americans dancing in the streets broadcast all around the world. Just like the Palestinians after hearing about the attacks of 9/11.

How did we look to the world?

What have we learned?

Bin Laden is dead. His followers remain.

Seth J. Stern feels like a buzz kill but was happy to hear the news. His column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.