Putting on a Show

Authors: Kevin Lytle

The player that CSU football fans clamored to see more playing time from last season was wide receiver Tony Drake.
Those pleas were mostly based on the desire to see him make plays with his blazing speed.

And on Friday night, Drake showed his fans and his team what he already knew. He is the fastest man at CSU.

“We had done 40 (yard dashes) a while back, and I was like the second fastest 40,” Drake said. “So I really wanted all of us to run together so we could really see who the fastest was. We got the chance today, and I showed it.”

Drake beat three other competitors as part of the Rams Superstars Competition with a time of 4.37 seconds.

Receiver Thomas Coffman and cornerback Bernard Blake joined Beat the Elite student competition winner Antoine Harrison in the race.

Harrison got the chance to run after winning the preliminary trial against other students on Friday afternoon with a time of 4.51. But his upset bid was sabotaged when he stumbled halfway through the race.

“It cost me the whole race,” said Harrison, a junior health and exercise science major. “I definitely (thought I could beat them). It was fun though.”

The Superstars competition pit individuals from offense and defense in head-to-head battles to score points for their respective units.

The first competition was the 225-pound bench press.

The offense won all five matchups to take a 5-0 lead. The top repetitions came from lineman Joe Caprioglio and running back Dorian Brown, both of whom notched 26 reps.

The defense then won the power-clean portion-lifting event 2-1, with linebacker Austin Gillmore doing 19 reps in 30 seconds, the most of the night.

The most exciting race came in the obstacle course between punter Hunter Blevins and kicker Chad VanderMolen.
VanderMolen fell jumping over a wall of boxes at the start but came storming back while doing an Army-style crawl through the middle portion of the course. VanderMolen sprinted to the end for the unlikely victory.

On the running vertical test known as the Tower of Terror, safety Austin Gray and linebacker Mike Orakpo set new records, jumping 68 inches.

In the tug of war, the wide receivers defeated the defensive backs. The tight end’s and running backs beat the linebackers, while the defensive line topped the offensive line.

Ultimately the 12-10 win was sealed for the offense when Drake won the 40 to finish the night.

“I think they had fun. They got to compete a little bit, and they got the student body involved,” said head coach Steve Fairchild. “It’s one more time for them to get together after spring time and have some competition but have a good time doing it.”

Football Beat Reporter Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.