Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

In a struggling economy, people are more calculated in their purchases. What are the pros and cons of buying a house versus renting, can I afford to get a new car, should I go to grad school right after getting my B.A., or should I work first for a few years?

And with that, some businesses have responded with recession discounts. Here at CSU, even, programs like Commitment to Colorado offer tuition discounts and, in some cases, free tuition to low-income students.

So it was surprising to learn that law schools across the country are luring students to attend their institutions using merit scholarships that come with a catch.

On Saturday, the New York Times’ David Segal published an article that reported that places including San Francisco’s Golden Gate University School of Law offer students merit scholarships that can be revoked after one or two years if one’s grade point average drops below a 3.0.

What Golden Gate failed to explain in information about its merit scholarships, though, is that while a student can do well in school, grades are influenced by an extreme curve that limits the number of A’s, B’s, C’s and D’s awarded each year. Missing, too, was the statistic that approximately 70 first-year law students nationwide lose their merit scholarships annually.

Segal’s article explains that schools do this to “build the best class that money can buy,” but that students feel they are playing a game for which they don’t know the rules, let alone that they are playing.

While private institutions have every right to limit the amount of money given to students, more transparency is necessary, especially when everyone has empty pockets.