Community Briefs for 5/2

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

New Belgium beer and scholarships

CSU’s College of Business Global Social and Sustainable Enterprise MBA Program will hold its third annual RAM Bicycle Classic on May 22. All proceeds will fund student scholarships and summer fieldwork by GSSE students.

There is a celebration after the event featuring a catered pasta bar, live music and New Belgium beer.

Student’s ages 11 to 22 have a $35 entrance fee and children under 10 can get in for free. Registration for the event must be received by May 19.

Football player with Asperger’s signs on as a Ram

Justin Hansen, a senior at Longmont High School, was an all-Colorado selection by the Denver Post as an offensive lineman in football and he’s coming to CSU to play next year.

The 6-foot-5, 280-pound player also ranks among the state’s best in shot put and discus for his high school track team. But Hansen isn’t your average player; he was diagnosed with Asperger’s while in grade school, an autism spectrum disorder that impacts behavioral patterns and can make social interaction difficult.

Hansen had offers from San Diego State, Washington, Kansas and other major colleges before signing with CSU, saying it was the right place.

Check out the full sports story in this Friday’s Collegian.

Biochemists investigate protein in Rett Syndrome

CSU biochemists that received a grant in 2007 to study how the protein MeCP2 interacts with Rett Syndrome have discovered that the protein doesn’t follow the rules of typical protein structure.

“This discovery adds a layer of complication because this protein doesn’t follow the typical rules of protein structure that I teach in my undergraduate biochemistry course,” biochemist Jeff Hansen said. “These are completely different types of proteins that somehow manage to function even though they’re disordered.”

Rett Syndrome affects one in 15,000 children and is the most common neurodevelopmental disorder in girls. The condition has similarities to autism that robs the child of their speech and motor skills and causes mental retardation. There is no cure for the disease.

— Collegian Staff Report